Bob Dylan’s The Bootleg Series Vol. 12: The Cutting Edge 1965–1966, Disc Twelve Reviewed
In January of 1966, Bob finally completes a song that will be released on Blonde On Blonde, he then moves onto a song that seems so typical Bobby you sort of wish there was a little more of it, it is a typical piece of blues rave misanthropy (“you used to be oh so modestt with your arms around a cigarette machine”? yup…), two takes of “Leopard SKin” and finally we are in Nashville, where, for the next five discs, he will craft the album.
According to Wikipedia “At producer Bob Johnston’s suggestion, Dylan, keyboardist Al Kooper, and guitarist Robbie Robertson moved to the CBS studios in Nashville, Tennessee. These sessions, augmented by some of Nashville’s top session musicians, were more fruitful, and in February and March all the remaining songs for the album were recorded”.
Day one, February 14th, 1966 (!!) is already a triumph, although we wouldn’t get to hear this “I’ll Keep It With Mine” till 1991/. The rest of the day was equally excellent. Though you won’t hear it till Disc Thirteen, Dylan will complete “Fourth Time Round”, and “Visions Of Johanna” before the day is over.
Bob Johnston continues to sound like the most reasonable man on earth as he works his way through the sessions. The move to Nashville provided the sound the balance Dylan needed, and if he was, as rumoured, an out of control drug addict during these sessions, you sure can’t hear it. Immediately, like all the Dylan recording sessions, the professionalism is impeccable.
1. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) – Take 23 (1/25/1966) Complete.
2. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) – Take 24 (1/25/1966) Released on Blonde On Blonde, 1966.
3. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) – (1/25/1966) Master take, guitar (BD) and organ.
4. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) – (1/25/1966) Master take, vocal.
5. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) – (1/25/1966) Master take, piano and drums.
6. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) – (1/25/1966) Master take, guitar and bass.
7. Lunatic Princess – Take 1 (1/27/1966) Incomplete.
8. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat – Takes 1-2 (1/27/1966) False start, incomplete.
9. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat – (1/27/1966) Insert.
10. I’ll Keep It With Mine – (no date listed) Rehearsal. Partially released on The Bootleg Series, Vol.1-3, 1991.
11. Fourth Time Around – Take 1 (2/14/1966) Rehearsal.
12. Fourth Time Around – Take 2 (2/14/1966) Breakdown.
13. Fourth Time Around – Takes 3-4 (2/14/1966) Rehearsal.
14. Fourth Time Around – Take 5 (2/14/1966) Complete.
15. Fourth Time Around – Takes 6-7 (2/14/1966) Rehearsal.
16. Fourth Time Around – Take 8 (2/14/1966) Rehearsal.
17. Fourth Time Around – Takes 9-10 (2/14/1966) False starts.