U2 Tickets Go On Sale For Their 2017 Tour… Is It Worth The Energy?

Written by | January 9, 2017 18:35 | 33 responses

u2-joshua-tree

U2

It has become very difficult to get a decent ticket for a big concert event. U2 has announced a tour for the 30th anniversary of ‘Joshua Tree’, and getting tickets for their stop at the Rose Bowl will probably be more epic than their show itself. I was thinking about getting a ticket, I have never seen them live and I guess this anniversary would be the perfect occasion, even though Bono is getting more and more unbearable…. but it won’t be easy.

When I reached the Ticketmaster page for the Rose Bowl show, I didn’t find one or two dates and offers as it is usually the case, but 3 dates and 7 different offers: there is the U2.com Redhill Group Presale, the Fan Club VIP Access on sale on January 11, the U2.com Wires Group Presale, the Fan Club Bundle, the VIP Package Presale on sale on January 12, and finally the General Public Onsale, with a VIP Package Public option on sale on January 17.  But what’s exactly left for the general public after all these presales?

As Iman had already noticed back in 2014 when he was getting ready to get tickets for U2 2015 tour, you have to subscribe to U2.com to be part of the fan presales,… and yes, it’s not free, it will cost you $50. But according to a few webpages I have encounter, if being an internet fan club subscriber would guaranty you access to tickets a few years ago, it’s not the case anymore. ‘However, last year for the North American tour it was a fiasco to end all fiascos, which could be blamed on typical Ticketmaster troubles,’ wrote Cindy Rosenblum here. In 2010, this other blog even asked ‘What’s the point of a U2.com membership?’ as some 2009 pre-sales happened before the U2.com pre-sale!

This year the U2.com subscription is $50, which already increases the price of the ticket, but what if this doesn’t even guaranty a ticket?

Also keep this in mind, subscribing to U2.com today will not get you very far. There are two presale groups, “Red Hill Group’ and ‘Wires Group’, and to be in one of these groups, you have to be a paid subscriber of U2.com. However, the ‘Red Hill’ Group, which enters the presale first, is described as ‘Long Time Subscribers’, and in the past, those who have kept their subscription current have had priority access, whereas the fans, who let subscriptions lapse and have just re-subscribed, fall into the second group ‘Wires Group’…meaning that U2 keeps track of everything you are doing, they are worst than Big Brother. As a brand new subscriber, I would not even fall in any of these categories, so I am not sure what presale would be open to me if any.

As it is always the case for big shows like this one, tickets for U2 at the Rose Bowl are already offered by Vividseat, or by StubHub and probably every other intermediates between brokers and buyers in the country. These sites can offer you tickets before any sort of presale has even occurred, and as absurd as it sounds, it may be the best way to get a ticket. Even if I am on Ticketmaster website on time on January 17, what are my chances to get a decent seat?

And, in the unimaginable option that I grab a GA ticket on Vividseat at $300-400 (I am not a U2 fan, why would I pay that much?), I don’t have the energy to compete with all these U2 fans, especially when I read something this, coming from a true fan: ‘in U2’s case, arriving early means at least 24 hours beforehand, which I can guarantee you, is cold in the middle of October, but so so worth it’. I have been waiting 7 hours for Nick Cave or LCD Soundsystem, but there’s no way I am waiting 24 h for Bono!

Tags:

33 Responses to “U2 Tickets Go On Sale For Their 2017 Tour… Is It Worth The Energy?”

1. Mike Rocheleau

Hey just a heads up, subbing today for u2.com gets you into the Wires group, so you get presale on day 2, days before general sales. I just did it this morning, supposedly it’s valid until the end of the presale window (Friday sometime).

Whether it’ll help or be $50 down the drain, well we’ll see…

• richard

Is the wires group its own company and has a ticket selling web site? Or do you have to do it through Ticketmaster?

• Emily

How did it go?? Was thinking of doing what you did but I’ve read that tickets are really expensive?

• Melissa

Hi mike, where do I put the wires code today at 9am? Into the red hill group section? There is no wires section…

• Tracey Long

Joined the U2 subscription yesterday, and bought tickets in pre-sale today. Super easy! Even with the $50.00 fee to join combined with ticket cost, it’s still less than what you’ll pay on Stubhub.

Cannot wait for the concert!

2. Tami Boyd

So are you saying the Rose Bowl StubHub tickets are GA and it’s a free for all on who gets there first? From what I get, StubHub lets you reserve your section but not your specific seats. I’m debating whether to just buy on StubHub or pay for U2 fan club. But do you think the price will be better for fans?

• Alyson

This is what a GA is usually, but there is a special area called red zone and this doesn’t apply for this area. However, there are GA tickets on StubHub and on Vividseats but the prices are all over the place, and I don’t know why. This is the question I am asking myself, there are now so many possibilities to buy a ticket you never know which solution is gonna be the best! sorry

3. I Don't Pout

I find it hard to believe you have a hard time getting tickets.
    A true fan would wait or do what is necessary to obtain a ticket, I have been to every tour since first toured USA and never ever had a problem.
    U2.com does make it easier but does not guarantee a ticket but never had a problem in past.
    My point is your complaining without trying.
    And Ill tell you one more hint, I have been to many U2 shows that the day of the show the have released tickets 2 hours prior to show.
    so quit the pouting and get in the mix!
    Or you will be saying I should Have! I could have!
    Oh but is Bono worth it?
    You better stay home!

• L

I agree with the above.
      I’ve been a member of the U2 fan club since it launched and was able to get in select great seats and get out in 10mins! I get lots of free and exclusive stuff available through the fan club so it’s well worth it for me.

• Justin

Its always a gamble, and it depends on where you are seeing them. I lucked out with GA tickets the last 4 tours and ended up in the center spread for the Rose Bowl DVD, but this tour is next to impossible. No tix, not with RedHill, not in Public sale, and I doubt I will go unless they open a second show in LA. Possible, since they have dates floating around 20.5

• chay

I did the rose bowl presale and got GA tickets immediately for the 20th of May. $70 each. I guess I’m lucky. Does anyone know how I can tell if these are RED ZONE or not? Does the section # have anything to do with it- because there is nothing that says “RED ZONE.”

4. Mike

Hey Mike –

Did you get your pre-sale password through email then? How will they let you enter the pre-sale?

5. John

joining u2.com today enters you into pre sale wires group and your U2 account will diaplay a unique code that you use on the ticketmaster website to putchase the tickets. if you click BUY TICKETS whilst on your U2.com members account this link actually brings you to the ticketmaster site where you enyeryour code and buy.

6. Chris

There’s four different levels to the pre-sale…..not sure what ” Wires Group” is but you couldn’t click on it as a option, “Red Zone” GA area but with seat off to the left of the stage and proceeds go AIDS research, VIP Gold, VIP Silver. Gold tickets are first level $600, Silver is 2nd level $300. I started at the 9AM release time and there were NO tickets available for GA or Red Zone, nor could you get four seats together which was the max for pre-sale. I almost forgot to mention that you get a VIP swag bag. Crazy!!!!

7. Chris

Pre-sale U2 membership password is emailed and then you enter on the Ticketmaster website

8. Bono Screwed me hard.

$50 for this garbage what a SCAM!!! Some of us are hard working people (like the ones U2 use to write songs about) who couldn’t afford to pay the $50 to be told there aren’t any tickets. How many times can a person go through this useless screen Captcha bullshit til they’ve been brought to the brink of INSANITY!!! YOU FAIL U2! And you’re thieves. Not a fan anymore.

9. Bono Screwed me hard.

To the idiot who said he has a hard time believing nobody can find tickets. WE DID DO WHAT WAS NECESSARY TO GET A TICKET WE PAID $50 FUCKING DOLLARS TO INSURE THAT AND WE GET ROBBED BY THE ARGUABLY BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD. I hope my $50 went to help build Bono’s Hollywood mega mansion or buy him some more hair plugs.

10. Gina

Been on the ticket master site for 40 minutes for two tickets getting a message no available tickets . I have my code WTH?

11. Wires

Alyson,
    You have never seen them live and you find Bono more and more unbearable every day. So why talk about this concert all? In hopes that someone will read this shitbag of a blog. I did and wish I didn’t. It’s idiotic to say the least. I hope you stay home, because I sure as shit don’t want you sitting next to me. #dontknockittilyoutryit

12. Scott

I just bought the U2.com subscription and got my presale code. Went to purchase tickets, it accepted my code, but comes up with “No tickets available”. Wow, what a rip!.

13. John Callender

I paid the $50, then encountered repeated technical problems on the Ticketmaster site when trying to enter the presale. This was not a case of me being late to access it or inexperienced in using web-based transaction systems. I’ve been building back-end web integrations for more than 20 years. These were javascript errors on Ticketmaster’s side, even before I’d submitted the form. The problem persisted across multiple browsers and multiple platforms. Their shit was just broken.

I submitted bug reports via the online “Help” system at both the U2.com fan site and the Ticketmaster site. Each produced (nearly identical) automated responses, both sent from a ticketmaster.com email server, promising to get back to me within 12 hours. After 24 hours, not having received any further response, I sent another message to the U2.com telling them to cancel my subscription and refund the $50, as I had been unable to access the presale as advertised. Today I received an emailed response (with a From: address of “support@u2.com”, but the message was sent from a mail server at mx.els.ticketmaster.com) that said the following:

“We are unable to cancel your membership with us however as it is stated in the terms and conditions that the purchase of the subscription is an all sales final purchase and does not guarantee the purchase of tickets during a pre sale”

I replied as follows:

“Your stated terms and conditions notwithstanding, you cannot legally charge a fee for access to a presale, then have me be unable to access the presale due to sloppy practices on your side while still claiming a right to keep my money. I agreed to pay you based on a promise not that I would be able to obtain tickets (because all subscribers recognize that ticket availability is limited), but that by paying you I would get access to a functional system with which I could try to obtain tickets. You failed to provide that system. As a result, you took my money under false pretenses.

I will forward this correspondence to my bank and dispute the charge.”

I’ve now done that (disputed the charge through my bank); I’m waiting to hear back from the claim department as to whether my bank will issue a chargeback. Hopefully they will.

In the meantime I’ve done some googling, and found that a lot of similar complaints were made during the 2005 tour, when the band first partnered with Ticketmaster for a similar “subscription”-based presale. The subscription fee in that case was $40, rather than $50, but otherwise it sounds identical. According to one account I saw the band had apologized for the technical problems that prevented many subscribers from accessing the presale, but apparently there were no refunds made for the “subscription” fees.

The whole thing is very disappointing. Being scammed out of $50 isn’t the worst part. It’s the sense that this band I used to look up to (having seen them on the first US tour when both they and I were idealistic teenagers, as well as many times since) is so far down the road to profiteering off their fanbase that they’re deeply in bed with an entity (Ticketmaster) that has a history of engaging in fraudulent practices to sneak in bogus fees (see their recent class-action settlement). At least based on my experience Ticketmaster continues to be very much the same kind of business.

My advice is to save your money and give it to a band that still has ideals. As a bonus, you’ll get to see them at a smaller venue rather than as distant specks in a stadium.

14. John

Come on people “wake the #&%$ up”!!!! Is this the only show any of you have tried to get tickets for in the past 20 years or so??? The days of standing in line overnight to ensure you were one of the 20K fans for a particular venue to get a ticket is over. I myself am thankful for these artist who have Fan Clubs for us TRUE FANS so that we can get tickets to their shows. I have been a U2.com member since the beginning and have renewed my membership every year so that I don’t have to go through this crap. I was notified via email by both U2.com and Ticketmaster 3 days prior to presale. On 1/11 I logged in to Ticketmaster at the set time and bought the allowable amount of tickets for the Fed Ex Show with no issue. It took about 10 minutes to complete. Oh yeah, I did from the middle of the Iraqi desert while being deployed!!! Don’t blame the band for not getting tickets. The problem is simply supply and demand and with the internet that 20K arena or 80K stadium is now open to the entire world. My advise is this, if a favorite band has a Fan Club join it if it offers presale tickets. I feel your pain but don’t blame U2!

15. Christine

Has anyone had luck at the venue box office right when the tickets go on sale? I’m not a die hard megafan, I just found out about this tour earlier in the evening, but Joshua Tree is the soundtrack of my youth, so it would be once in a lifetime amazing to go. The tickets go on sale in less than 9 hours, so it’s too late for me to ponder shelling out $50 for a better shot. I’d be going to the show at Levi’s stadium, anyone have any tips for buying at the box office?

16. Kim

Forget U2 , go see Coldplay instead. Today’s new gen. band. They don’t money suck the life out of anyone. I believe they truly love their fans and put on one amazing show. I have seen U2 twice in my lifetime when they came to smaller towns, wasn’t impossible to see them then as today.

17. Vic

I was in wires presale ! But i had to pay 318.00 per seat , section 5 row 34, For the rose bowl
    Why were these tickets so expensive?
    After the added another show on sunday may 31st, which hasnt sold out, i noticed seats were way cheaper..
    Did i get ripped at 318.00 presale price ? Did anyone experience anything similiar

• JJ

Yeah, I’m feeling pretty ripped off Vic. I did the same, but wasn’t able to get 4 seats together. We opted for 2 pairs in different sections because that’s all that was available . Once the second show was announced, we saw tons of tickets with 4 seats together. But Ticketmaster/ Promoters denied our request to transfer/ resell at face value or refund the tickets for the Saturday show. Credit Card entry means everybody has to show up together to get tix, with no other options. We were pretty stoked to get to see U2, but now just seems like we got rolled for $$. So many tickets for sale at twice face value on Stubhub/ Ticketmaster Resale, but U2 won’t allow us to gift our tickets to anyone or resell at face value.

18. Linda

Don’t waste your money! They had terrible tickets available & I could now buy those same seats cheaper & no BS $50 fan club crap! Oh, and if you want to sell them (even at a loss), you can’t because the only entry to the show is with the same credit card you bought the shitty tickets with! NOT IMPRESSED U2! Never again.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks